Navigation Menu+

Records Management | SharePoint 2010

Posted in Design, Research

This project is two-fold: 1) a group project as part of the SI 528 coursework in Fall 2011; and 2) a part-time employment providing technical support to students in SI 528 in Fall 2012.

  • Project Type: Group
  • Deliverable: Implementation of Records Management Process in SharePoint 2010
  • Role: SharePoint Administrator
  • Course: SI 528
  • Status: Completed

A group of 4 students were tasked to implement a complete records management process in SharePoint 2010, using the Enron emails in the public domain as the data.

Each team was provided with two sites, one workspace where active documents lived, and a records center where the declared records were to be sent. The out-of-the-box sites were configured and customized by the team as part of the deliverable.

t2wsAs the team’s SharePoint Administrator, I was in charge of the technical aspect of the project and the actual implementation of the file plan developed by the team. The instance of SharePoint 2010 for the course was made available as a type of “sandbox” extension by the College of Liberal Arts and Science, which has a live implementation of SharePoint 2010. Between the class and the LSA IT Department, SI Computing, the IT group within the University of Michigan’s School of Information, handled technical issues.

Due to the complexities and permission level issues, numerous functionalities including the automatic routing of records to the records center could not be tested or implemented for the project. The troubleshooting process was extremely difficult and lacked transparency because of the admin/permission level layers involved.

t2rcI worked with SI Computing through JIRA on the technical issues. It was apparent towards the end of the project that some of the critical pieces of the project could not be implemented and the troubleshooting was a significant part of the learning. Upon realizing this shift in project goal, I suggested the teams work together and included the SharePoint admins of all teams in my communication to SI Computing. The findings on both the successful and unsuccessful part of the implementation were enumerated in the final report.

 

 

  • Project Type: Part-Time Employment
  • Deliverable: SharePoint Support to Students in SI 528 Fall 2012
  • Status: Completed

Based on the feedback from the class in Fall 2011, myself included, the instructor decided to hire a part-time SharePoint support to provide Tier 1 support to the students and act as liaison between SI Computing and the class. I was offered the position because of the work I have done in SI 528 Fall 2011.

I started working with SI Computing about a month before the start of the semester, ironing out known issues and exploring ways to enable the features that were not previously available, such as Content Organizer Rules and Managed Metadata. Eventually I worked directly with both SI Computing and the LSA IT Department to work out the problems and to devise workarounds for certain limitations.

The SharePoint project assignment was released mid-semester, where I gave the lecture on behalf of the instructor going over the requirements and details of the project.

contenttypematrixTo maximize the learning opportunity for the students, I created a process for manual input of content types, where the teams were asked to submit their file plan and content type details and I implemented them at the top site level allowing the use of content types in creating Content Organizer Rules across team sub-sites. I met with each team separately for an hour-long session to assist the teams and go over the issues and the progress.

In addition, I created a course Wiki to provide instructions on SharePoint access and to document the issues and the troubleshooting process. The Wiki served both as the central dissemination point of project related information and a repository of issues and resolutions pertinent to the project.

The SI 528 class of Fall 2012 were able to fully implement their file plan and test the records management process with automatic routing through the content type workarounds and the Send To connections put in place based on my research and recommendations.